Forum: Nuzgûl of the Month Forum

Discussing: Nuzgûl of the Month August 2013

Nuzgûl of the Month August 2013

The Nuzgûl of the Month August 2013, courtesy of Aruthir:

"Things That Should Not Have Been Forgotten".

Magic rings go missing; languages die; peace treaties are torn up because of misunderstandings; monsters dwell in dark places abandoned by the forces of Good; men become myth, lies become legend. Tolkien's works are full of such situations- perhaps we here at HASA can come up with some new ones?

Happy writing!  You can post ideas for next month in this forum towards the end of August.

Re: Nuzgûl of the Month August 2013

I WILL write for this!! Roll eyes

Very good nuzgul! It's trying to bite me, just trying to find the best angle!

Psst, little nuzgûl! Go straight for the jugular, there's a good rabbit!

Author's Note: I suggested it, so it's only fair I start things off, isn't it, Preciousss? Wink

We don't like them, do we, Preciousss?

Narsty things, creeping and skulking in the shadows, yesss, horrid little eyes and horrid grasping fingers and horrid burning hatred in the dark they are, aren't they, yesss, Precious?

*gollum*

*gollum*

They watches us, yes they does, watches us from the darkness, yesss, and jealous they is of us, aren't they, Preciousss?

They skulk and they scowl and they scheme, they does, Precious, and they plot and they plan, Precious, and they'd snap our necks and kill us cold in a heartbeat if we gave them the chance, wouldn't they, Precious- narsty little schemers they is, aren't they, Preciousss?

*gollum*

*gollum*

Sometimes we tricks them, yes, sometimes we's a piper and we leads them a merry dance, we does- tricksy as there are they's no match for Us, are they, Precious- and when they're lost and lonely we catches them from behind and we breaks their necks or we smashes their skulls or we drowns them, don't we, Precious?

Sometimes we're bored, Precious, and sometimes we leads them into Goblin camps instead of killing them, don't we, Precious- sometimes we leads them into Goblin camps and we watches as those narsty little skulkers get ripped apart, yesss, or gutted like fishes, yesss, or eaten alive shrieking and screaming, yesss, yes we does…

*gollum*

*gollum*

Sometimes we brings them to Her, Precious- sometimes we tricks them and twists them and turns them, sometimes we traps them in Her webs…

*gollum*

*gollum*

Traps them in her webs, we does, traps them firm and fast like fat foolish flies and then we watches, Precious, yesss, watches as She devours them

Mewlips, they calls themselves.

Some once and some when they were something else, yes they were- something good and something glorious and something gone, something beyond the murk and the mists and the mountains,,,

We hates them, don't we, Precious?

Hates them almost as much as we hates the Baggins.

Narsty skulkers they are themselves, Precious, yes they are, but…

If we could lead the Baggins to them- or them to the Baggins, for that matter- curse it and crush it and kill it, we hates it forever, we does…

Then kill two birds with one stone we might, yesss?

*gollum*

*gollum*

Mewlips, they calls themselves.

Dead, we calls them.

Dead and tasty...

*gollum*

*gollum*

Ooh, nicely creepy

Aruthir's Note: A new take on an old legend. I hope you folks enjoy...

"Are you seeing this?"

I shouldn't be, but I am, so I nod mutely.

"What the Hell is it?"

I have no idea, so I don't say a word.

It glitters in the light from our lamps; impossible, incredible- a gem of infinite beauty, finer than the finest diamond, so intricately cut that I fancy if we were to switch the lamps off it would still glow even here at the bottom of the Trench.

"Have you ever seen anything like it?"

Bennett's voice echoes in my ears; I wish he'd shut up and let me luxuriate in nothing but silent admiration for the thing. He can never just appreciate something for what it is, I think- always has to pass comment, to narrate, to spoil…

"I'm taking us in closer."

My fingers clench in silent rage. Why can he not just leave things be? Why does he always have to go that one step too far, to kill the goose that laid the golden egg, to-

"My God, Dwyer, can you imagine how much this thing is gonna be worth when we get it topside?"

Dollar-signs flicker behind his eyes and I pity him. Why sell such a wonder, I think pityingly, why give up such beauty, why lose it to those with more money than sense?

My fingers clench again- how simple it would be to throttle him here and now, how simple it would be to break his neck, to stay down here until the oxygen runs out, to…

"I'm extending the grabber, Dwyer."

Hate pulses through me like wildfire as I watch the slender grabber-arm extend towards the jewel, and I ready myself to attack. It is not right that he should hold it, dammit- it is not his to take, it-

A sudden blinding flash...

A sudden shriek of tortured metal...

A silent explosion in the dark, and the grabber-arm is no more, obscuring the gem in a cloud of silt...

The spell is broken.

Lights flash across the control panel- angry red lights accompanied by frantic klaxons. I am suddenly, hideously aware of the seven miles of water between our craft and the surface- of the tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of pressure itching to crush us without thought.

"We're going back up."

Bennett looks at me piteously.

"Can we not just have two minutes more, Dwyer- Just two minutes more?"

My heart hardens, and I gesture at the flickering lights of the control panel.

"We go or we die."

His heart breaks- I see the very moment he gives up on life and light and love forever in his eyes- but he nods.

I press the buttons that will send us surface-wards once more, and we rise.

Long minutes pass, and black turns to grey turns to blue but not a word is spoken- we are too busy with our memories.

Finally, as we break the surface, Bennett speaks.

"We never talk of this again."

I nod, mute.

No-one would believe us anyway.

Sitting in an empty bar nursing a beer some days later, however, I break my vow.

An old rummy thumps down in the seat next to me- one eye milky with cataract, half his teeth gone, impossibly old.

He smiles at me.

"You saw her too."

I don't respond- I keep my eyes on the Yankees game on the crappy little TV above the bar, pretend I don't hear him- but he persists.

"You saw her too."

Still I ignore him- I have to ignore him, or…

"Isn't she just the most beautiful thing you ever saw?"

I shoot him a glance, and something passes between us- something ancient and awful.

I nod, and he smiles the saddest smile you ever saw, smiles and raises his whiskey with one horribly-scarred hand, smiles and salutes me.

"To absent friends."

The words escape me before I have chance to stop them, but the old rummy nods.

"To absent friends."

He downs the whiskey in one shot and I my beer.

As I stare after him the old rummy dumps a handful of change on the bar and leaves, singing tunelessly to himself.

I resign the next morning.

Bennett kills himself the morning after that.

I never dive again.

Ooh, nice and doomy Applause!

I may experience further inspiration before the end of the month, but here's a bit of a drabble at least:

"It has always been so..."

"No," I say. "Not always."

"Hmph. Old stories, you mean? There's no truth in them..."

"I try to interrupt, but am talked over.

"Oh, I'll grant you that there may have been a King once, but to say that he'd return, or one of his descendants, I suppose – I don't want to see someone come back who's been dead for centuries; we've got the Barrowdowns for ghosts and undead, no need to look for more of'em elsewhere. Anyway, even if there was a King once, there isn't now, and that's all there is to it."

Why do I get the feeling this conversation took place in the Green Dragon? Smile

Either that, or the Pony

Aruthir's Note: A new take on an old legend. I hope you folks enjoy...

I love it, but I am totally confused!!

Well, as it was once written by a very wise man...

that is not dead which can eternal lie

and with strange aeons even death may die

...and Maglor's Silmaril was only lost, not killed, right? Who, me?

Aruthir's Note: Here's a tale from Old Cardolan. I hope folks like it...

I stare out across the field.

Angmar's host stretches from horizon to horizon, and if I still believed in gods I would pray to them, but…

Our force is too small.

We asked our old men to fight, we asked our boys to fight…we even asked our women to fight, though it sorely grieved us, and fight they did, fought like blood-crazed beasts- but it was not enough.

Our force is too small, but we will fight to the last anyway.

If we do not, then the world of Men is lost- the Elves have abandoned us, the Dwarves are not to be trusted, the Hobbits are cowards…

Angmar's host stretches from horizon to horizon- better armed than us, better armoured than us, far far far far more numerous than us- and if I still believed in gods I would pray to them.

As it is the only reply I get is the roar of the host of Angmar.

Tears flow despite myself and I close my eyes.

I hope the end is quick...

I'm not sure 'like' is the appropriate response. How about saying 'well done'?

Aruthir's Note: Blame Nath for this one. Sorry for the dark and bloody tone of it- I'm not currently the happiest octopus in the reef...

The black blade slams through my chest and I am done.

The Angmarim grins as I choke my last.

How has it come to this?

How does a Prince die such a pauper's death?

Blood spews from my lips, my sword drops from my hand…

…and the Angmarim's grin widens ever further.

A curse be upon this world, I think, dropping to my knees as I drown in my own death, a curse to live long and loathsome after I am gone.

There was no help for me- no knight in shining armour- no last-minute reprieve- no God to grant me blessing…

The Angmarim puts his foot against my chest and kicks me backwards, freeing his sword in a welter of my blood.

I curse this barren field upon which I die, this blood-bolted land I could not save, this bitter world that loved me not.

Though I die, may my curse live on in my bones, may my sword live on in death in fingers that could not wield it well in life…

…and may my rage burn un-dimmed until Angmar falls.

Aruthir's Note: A swift coda for y'all. All feedback and flames to the usual address... please?

The fool stands his ground

He dies all the same.

Cardolan is lost.

Aruthir's Note: Blame Nath for this one.

Who, me?

I've been blamed for worse You little devil!Cool!

Again, well done

And like that sweet little coda, the August Nuzgûl dies...

But unlike for Cardolan, there is hope on the horizon.

At least, if we have a theme for September?

Perhaps you've just provided one there, Nath- there is always hope on the horizon, even in the darkest of places? Wink

Well, if there's no better suggestion in the meantime, I'll put it up tomorrow morning (still tonight by HASA time) You little devil!

I'm afraid I'm very unlikely to come up with anything for this Challenge if it comes to pass though- I gave up on hope and happiness a long time ago...

But characters can still feel it, though? Or write that sinking feeling as the hope on the horizon is lost?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Nuzgûl of the Month Forum