On Our Minds
I fixed the formatting for you.
Thanks for the info about pseuds! I did not know about that and the A03 admins I spoke to when I found my screen name had been taken didn't mention it at all.
At present, I'm too busy with the data transfer and the site shutdown operations to give it my attention (plus this stupid thing called Real Life. Bah, who thought that was a good idea?), but I will investigate it when I catch my breath.
Someone else has the same pseud as me! How did this happen?
Unlike user names, pseuds aren't unique. This is partly to allow users to reflect names they've used over the years on other services, even if someone else has used the same names. To ensure that users won't be mistaken for other users with the same pseud, user names are displayed in parentheses next to the pseud.
Why does my user name display in parentheses next to my pseud?
Unlike user names, pseuds are not unique. To ensure that users won't be mistaken for other users with the same pseud, user names are displayed alongside pseuds. The only exception is if a user creates an alternate pseud that is identical to their user name. For example:
- Suzy_Fangirl—her user name—has created two additional pseuds, Suzy Fangirl and Suzy_Fangirl.
- If she posts a work using her user name, it displays as: Suzy_Fangirl.
- If she posts a work using the Suzy Fangirl pseud, it displays as: Suzy Fangirl (Suzy_Fangirl).
- If she posts a work using the Suzy_Fangirl pseud that she created, it displays as: Suzy_Fangirl.
In the case of an orphaned fanwork, users can either leave their pseud attached to the work or have it removed. For more information on how it would display, go to How do I orphan my work(s)? in the Orphaning FAQ.
Hope this helps,
I do not have an A03 account as someone else fairly recently took the screen name "Anglachel" for her/his/their own. I'm not inclined to change my screen name at this point, seeing as I've been Anglachel in the fandom since 2002.
Unfortunately, I don't have any alternative location for my works at this time. I do have a domain, romenna.net, that will go offline when HASA does, but I intend to get back up and running at some point.
So, if you like my stories, you'd best make copies of them now because I can't guarantee they will be available after February in any archive or web site. My current energy is being given over to moving everyone else's works to A03 and trying to figure out how to cover the remaining bills for HASA.
"Is the transfer "opt-in" or "opt-out"?" I'm going to be Elvish here and say 'yes' The slightly longer version of an explanation is that, looking at it from the HASA/export point of view, stories that are set to beta or offlist won't be exported to the interim file. Looking at it from the Open Doors point of view, stories by authors who are already at AO3 and have notified them, won't be imported from the interim file.
(and there's an interim file because the data don't match exactly and need some handwork to get them to AO3; it's unfortunately not a case of just plugging one into the other, which would be cool if we could...)
So your understanding that "even if the work is not set to Beta on HASA, as long as the author has informed Open Doors that her works are already on AO3, they will not be (re)imported" is correct.
And yes, there is a livejournal account here: http://hasalj.livejournal.com.
Hi, HASA Team -
I'm a little confused as to a couple items.
- Is the transfer "opt-in" or "opt-out"? That is, will works be automatically transferred unless an author has actively "opted out" or set them to Beta, regardless of whether you have been able to contact them or not?
- One of the items on the AO3 announcement says, "1. If you already have an AO3 account and have posted your HASA works there, please contact Open Doors with your HASA pseud(s) and e-mail address(es), so that we won't import your works. (Please include "HASA" in the subject heading.) For instructions on adding your works to the new collection on the AO3, HASA, please see the Open Doors website." This implies that even if the work is not set to Beta on HASA, as long as the author has informed Open Doors that her works are already on AO3, they will not be (re)imported.
Also, is there an online HASA community that will be able to maintain the connections we have here? Say, a LiveJournal community account or something similar--AO3 doesn't seem to have that capacity. (Or I haven't found it...)
Thank you so much to all the folks who are working to make the transfer happen! So glad the stories I love will still have a home online!