Quickies Qtr 3, 2005
- The story should be at least one type-written page long, but not more than 3 type-written pages. Definition of page - 1" margin all the way around, Times 12 pt. font., standard size paper.
- There should be one viewpoint or one character as the main focus.
- It should be one continuous scene.
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to pick one of the below prompts, and write a story within the limits here described.
- Eowyn, young mother, must deal with a political situation in her husband's absence. For example, perhaps some Haradri wish to settle in Ithilien. How does she deal with this situation in her new role as the Lady of Ithilien?
- How did one of Pippin's sisters react to his birth?
- Gimli and Legolas vowed to travel with the Ringbearer at least to the passes of the Mountains, and perhaps beyond." What brings one of them to the decision to remain with the Fellowship to the end?
- Somewhere in Moria, the smothering dark gives one of the hobbits nightmares about their early adventures in the Old Forest, the Barrows, or the race to Rivendell. Describe someone else in the Fellowship comforting them.
- Any encounter between one of the Dunlendings after Helm's Deep with one of his Rohirric 'captors'
- Bergil wants to do something special for Pippin to thank him for saving his father's life.
- The thoughts of each (or one) of the other Fellowship members at Aragorn's coronation, as Frodo is given the honor of carrying Aragorn's crown to Gandalf.
- Pippin knows that someday he will be Thain -- the first one answerable to a king -- and asks Faramir to talk to him about what it means to be Steward of a people.
- One evening, as the Ringbearers' ship nears Valinor, a graceful white bird alights on the deck and transforms... into Elwing, Elrond's mother.
- The initial reaction of any relative (be it parent, sibling, cousin, whomever) to the Travellers' return to the Shire--preferably when said relative has a face-to-face encounter.
- One of Grond's makers reflects upon his work.
- Earnur rides to Minas Morgul to challenge the Witch-king. Write about the experience of one of the guards who went with him, or the people of Minas Tirith who watched him leave.
Entries with Stories
The following authors have entered a story in the Challenge.
- Aerenos - Eärnur’s Pride
- General Audience
- Last Updated: 03 Jan 08
- In TA 2050, the Witch-king of Angmar challenged Eärnur, King of Gondor to single combat, to settle a previous matter of honour. Eärnur accepted the challenge and rode to Minas Morgul with a small party of knights, but they did not return and nothing was heard of their fate. This short-short details the thoughts and actions of Tormbiril, one of the knights of Gondor who accompanied his King to the gates of Minas Morgul.
The following authors have entered a placeholder in the Challenge.
- Adoption Date: 31 Oct 05